Car Accident Lawyer
Summary: This article covers auto accident lawsuits including the causes, what to do if involved in an accident, hiring a lawyer and filing an injury accident claim.
There are over 6 million car accidents each year and of those over 40,000 were fatal. Many of these auto accidents occurred due to the negligence on the part of one of the drivers involved. If you or a loved one were seriously injured in a car accident you may be entitled to compensation. Contact a personal injury attorney to learn more about your legal rights and filing a lawsuit.
Causes of Car Accidents
There are several reasons why auto accidents occur. Some of the most common causes include:
- Reckless Driving (e.g. road rage, changing lanes without signals, etc.)
- Failure to obey traffic signs
- Falling asleep at wheel
- Drunk Driving (e.g. under the influence of drugs or alcohol)
- Weather conditions
- Poor highway design (e.g. inadequate sight distance, failure to install or maintain guard rails, improper striping, curve or embankment, traffic control defects, etc.)
What to do if Involved in an Accident
Regardless of the cause, there are several steps that a driver must take when involved in a car accident:
- Collect the name and addresses of the drivers, passengers, and registered owners of the vehicles, along with names of any witnesses to the auto accident
- Write down the policy numbers and names of the insurance companies for all drivers involved.
- Note any damage to the car and take pictures is possible.
- Note any injuries and take pictures if possible.
- Write down the names of the police officers or highway patrol officers that responded to the car accident
- Note the name of anyone who claimed responsibility for the accident
- Contact a personal injury lawyer to learn more about your legal rights.
If you are injured in a car accident or if damage to the vehicles exceeds a certain amount (varies depending on state), you must file a police report. In some states, you are also required to file a report with the Department of Motor Vehicles. In addition to these reports, you must inform your insurance company.
Contact an Attorney
To learn more about your legal rights and recover property damages or receive compensation for your injuries and medical bills it may be necessary to file a car accident lawsuit. Time may be limited to file your claim so don’t delay, contact an experienced car accident attorney today!